Low Calorie Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas Recipe, Diet & Budget Wise
Written by Thin Thin
Low Calorie Recipes that are Budget Friendly, Inexpensive, Cheap & Easy to Prepare with Minimal Ingredients
To prepare these creamy Goddesses, start by adding the chicken and onion to a pan and cook on the stove top until chicken juices run clear. Use a bit of cooking spray if necessary to prevent the chicken from sticking. Add the cumin and chili powder if you like your enchiladas spicy.
In a separate small pan, melt the margarine (or butter) then add the flour and stir until smooth. Next, add the skim milk (or chicken broth) and whisk until milk (or broth) thickens. Add nutmeg, green chilies and sour cream. Now add the chicken mixture and stir until incorporated. Add salt & pepper based on your personal taste preference.
Warm the corn shells until they are soft (in between two moist paper towels) in your microwave. Microwaves vary greatly in cooking time, but as an example - our microwave takes about 30 seconds to warm the corn tortillas to a soft consistency.
Next, using half of the mozzarella cheese, fill the corn tortillas and roll into enchiladas. Place into a baking pan (about 8" X 8") taking care to put the seam to the bottom of the pan. Next, top with the chicken sour cream sauce. Finally, top with remaining shredded mozzarella cheese.
Bake in a 400-degree preheated oven for about 20 minutes - or until cheese is bubbly. Each generous sour cream enchilada contains about 175 calories.
You will need the following ingredients for our inexpensive, simple Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas recipe:
- 12 corn tortillas (allowed 320 calories each)
- 1 cup of raw chicken breast, cut into small cubes (remove skin/bones)
- 1/4 cup of chopped onion (any variety)
- 1 Tablespoon of chili powder (optional)
- 1 Teaspoon of ground cumin (optional)
- 1 cup of light sour cream (40 calories per serving)
- 2 cups of skim mozzarella cheese, shredded (allowed 960 calories)
- 1 small can of green chilies, chopped
- 1 1/4 cup of skim milk (135 calories - or use chicken broth to save even more calories)
- pinch of ground nutmeg (optional)
- 2 Tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons of margarine or butter (allowed 120 calories)
- salt & pepper
Managing a Healthy Daily Diet on a Limited Budget